Friday, October 22, 2010

Sesame Street:Song: I Love My Hair


          I love the story behind this video. A father of an adopted daughter creating a video trying to help her accept a part of herself she's struggling to like. GO DADDY!!!!
   I am amazed at the controversery surrounding this video. However I guess I shouldn't be. As a society, we liked to live behind Hollywood style images.
   For years, parents have been trying to help their children love and accept themselves. Instead, we like to put labels on. . . my nose is too big, too small, crooked, etc.. I am too short, too tall, fat, too thin, etc. . . my hair is fizzy, straight, curly, not blond, etc. . .
   Do we really all want to look alike? No, but normal.
   Merrian-Webster's online dictionary defines normal as conforming to a type, standard or regular pattern.
  Again I ask you, do we really all want to look alike? Does the pressure to conform change as we age? Yes and no. It peaks in our high school years but it never really goes away, at least according to every woman I've ever met or spoke with. I think it's also getting worse for again for boys/men.
   I'm not trying to tell people that you shouldn't wear a blond wig if you choose. But don't tell that precious child, there is something wrong with her body/hair in it's natural state, no matter the ethnic race.

Kim Izzy

White Mountain Puzzles Pretending to be a Normal Person

No comments:

Post a Comment