Wednesday, December 4, 2013

~ Pictue it & Write! - How Long Can You Hold Your Breath?

It began with a simple childish dare. "How long can you hold your breath?" Art dared me.

I was holding my breath surrounded by the legs and arms of my blissfully unaware classmates of my swimming class. They didn't see the danger staring at me.

How had they gotten into the swimming pool in land locked desert country of Albuquerque, New Mexico, anyway? This wasn't the kind of thing you expected to see around here. Maybe at one of the City's Aquariums, but not here in our local pool.

The floor of the pool undulated as the crabs crawled over each other in order to find unclaimed square footage. There had to be hundreds, maybe thousands of them. Could they swim? Would they eat humans? How long had I stayed down?

It was enough. Art could have the pleasure of going next.

I surfaced. Something tickled my foot. I screamed.

© 2013 Kim Izzy

Hope you enjoyed!

Kim Izzy




No comments:

Post a Comment