Wednesday, August 14, 2013

~Picture it & Write! - Domed Judgment Excerpt UPDATED!!


by DiggieVitt on Flickr
Ermilia's ~Picture it & Write! writing prompt. Click picture to learn more.


 
The dome for the lack of a better description was off over to our left, our homes to the right. Maybe I, too, am letting popular TV science fiction influence me. I have never seen nor heard of anyone in real life having an electronic force shield. But all of Franklin, at least this side of it, was trapped behind it. Whatever "it" was!

At first we ran across the corn field thinking we could hide from the birds. Birds seemed driven to act crazy by the electronic field. When we came to an overgrown driveway, Landon and Darris turned to follow it. 

"Hoping to make better time and get away from the birds." Breathlessly, Darris yelled over his shoulder of the arm with which he was dragging me. I think Anna could hear because she and Landon were beside us.  

Behind me, I see Darris's older brother, Anthony falling back. The birds converged on him. Were the birds attracted to the scent of burning human hair? Anthony had taken a good shock when he had touched the electronic wall. Or was Anthony trying to give us a head start?

Darris yelled over my head, "Anthony, run. Catch up with us. You have nothing to fight with. You saw what they did to Gentry's injure cattle."

Anthony ran to the edge of the cornfield yanking several cornstalks out of the ground. He swung them at the diving crows, while we climb through the ditch up onto the road that had brought us to edge of our nightmares. Anthony connected with a couple of birds. They tumbled across the sky crashing into the waiting cornstalks as I watched waiting for my turn.  Our families were trapped.  

Where was the military? Ft. Campbell was only a couple of hours away. Where were the Blackhawk Helicopters that flew between Ft. Campbell and Florida? Their sound echoing throughout the Natchez Trace valley on Hwy 96. 

The birds gave up returning back to the direction of the dome. Anthony limped as we waited for him to catch up with us on the road.

"Where to now, Big Bro?" Darris asked Anthony.


(Note: I used the picture this week to inspire a passage in my current short story, Domed Judgment that I am writing to post at  http://www.wattpad.com/user/KimIzzy soon. I will post a notice of the downloads here at my blog and on my facebook page, Kim Izzy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kim-Izzy/204505159561991)

Update: See this as the chapter(edited) in the bigger story. Chapter 6 posted 10/10/2013. Posting one chapter a week, nine weeks left. Domed Judgment chapter 6  If you want to start the story at the beginning use this link - Domed Judgment. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. What's next indeed. I love the suspense of this chapter piece. Nice contribution

    ReplyDelete