Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Voting! What's The Big Deal?

Duck for President (New York Times Best Illustrated Books (Awards))

On my eighteen birthday, I watched a U.S. Presidential inaugration live on TV. Even though I was now an adult, I would have no say over the surpreme commander of our nation for four more years. What's the big deal?
My grandmother always said, "If you don't vote, you don't get to bitch." I agree. If you don't participate in the process, then you are part of the problem. Your voice didn't get heard.

Two years later for mid term elections, I had moved in with my grandparents in the big city. My parents had taken us for civic lessons in our very, very small elementary school voting location. Now, I was expected to vote in a very large public school in the bad part of a big city. My grandmother quite literally took me under her wing. I voted. I had a voice.

Daffy Duck for PresidentI have never regretted voting. Sometimes, I've been on the winning side and sometimes, I've been on the losing side. Still no regrets! I made the best decision with the information I had available at the time.

When your time comes, will you stand up and let your voice be heard? Your voice matters. Don't be afraid. People in other countries risk death for a chance to be heard. It matters that much! (Even if I use cartoons to illustrate my point.)

Kim Izzy

No comments:

Post a Comment